Board director resources
We hope you enjoyed your complimentary access to FT Board Director.
Below is a collection of essential resources that you received during your trial, including the event summary, video on demand, email briefings, resources library, and the FT topics that are critical for corporate boards.
The Proposed Reforms to Audit and Corporate Governance
Dan Thomas, Chief UK Business Correspondent, Financial Times with Sir Jonathan Thompson, Chief Executive Officer, Financial Reporting Council
After the recent publication of the UK white paper on audit and corporate governance reforms, the FT invited Sir Jon Thompson, chief executive of the Financial Reporting Council, to share his thoughts on issues including the reform of the FRC, a UK version of Sarbanes-Oxley, the future of the Big Four accounting firms and why London remains a great place to raise capital.
You can watch the video on-demand here and read the FT’s write up of the event here.
Navigating the changing relationship between boards and executives
An exclusive peer to peer networking event hosted by Patrick Dunne, Chair, board member and author of award-winning book, Boards.
The relationship between the Chair and the CEO is perhaps the most critical individual relationship on a board and if there is conflict or disagreement between them that has an inevitable impact on the rest of the board members, the executive team and ultimately on the business.
At this exclusive 'Chatham House style’ discussion, board members were presented with a dilemma based on a genuine, real-life situation where the Chair and the CEO are in conflict. In small groups, they discussed the situation, the issues it raises for the board and the best solution to resolve.
Your weekly email briefings
The latest news, trends and debates affecting corporate boards.
- Briefing on 12 May: Your first weekly boardroom briefing
- Briefing on 19 May: From inflation to trade and ransomware
- Briefing on 26 May: The future of the dollar and hybrid working
- Briefing on 02 June: An eye on inflation and a sea change for ESG
- Briefing on 09 June: Global tax, global summits and global Britain
- Briefing on 16 June: Open for trading but closed for business
Explore FT topics essential
to board directors
You can add these topics to your myFT alerts, by selecting ‘Add to myFT’, to ensure you never miss the most important news for corporate boards.
Resources to bookmark
- Why Shell’s climate defeat matters (Opinion by the FT)
- A different perspective on ESG and investor relations (Practical insights from KPMG)
- Accelerating the S in ESG – a roadmap for global progress on social standards (Report from KPMG)
- The corporate director’s guide to shareholder activism (Practical insights from PwC)
- Using AI to screen, search, and structure environmental, social, and governance data (Feature in the LSE Business Review)
- Scaling up institutional investment for place-based impact (White paper by the Impact Investing Institute)
- Robert Eccles - Purposeful boards will lead change for the better (Podcast by Black Sun)
- The strategic moves that can help companies dodge disaster (Opinion by the FT)
- What corporate boards can learn from Boeing’s mistakes (Insights from the Harvard Business review)
- Boosting international investment: The role of expert assessments of corporate governance (Working paper from the European Corporate Governance Institute)
- EY Board Agenda 2021: five priorities for boards to shape the organisation’s strategy (Research and insights from EY) How to put purpose before short-term gains (Podcast from EY)
- The role of boards in fostering resilience (Podcast from McKinsey)
Audit & Risk
- Internal audit – a view from the board (Discussion from the Risk Coalition)
- Thematic review: interim reporting (Insights from the Financial Reporting Council)
- Questions to assist non-executive director oversight of physical climate risk management (Practical insights from Chapter Zero)
- The principal risk discussion: what’s it for? (Practical insights from Independent Audit)
- Hacking American beef: the relentless rise of ransomware (Feature by the FT)
- Ransomware: prevention and response (Practical insights from Clifford Chance)
- Ransomware attacks must be stopped — here’s how (Opinion from the FT)
- Mind the Gap: Cyber security risk in the new normal (Research by the Chartered Institute of Internal auditors)
- Don’t dismiss supermarket equal pay cases (Opinion by the FT)
- ‘Many thought women should simply decide a car’s colour’ (Feature by the FT)
- Board directors: ever so slightly more diverse (Feature from the FT)
- How to best use data to meet DE&I goals (Practical insights from Harvard Business review)
- Missing Pieces Report: The Board Diversity Census of Women and Minorities on Fortune 500 Boards (Report from the Alliance for Board Diversity and Deloitte)
- The macroeconomic damage from gender discrimination (Feature from the LSE Business Review)
- Your CEO succession plan can not wait (Research and insights from the Harvard Business Review)
- Your board needs a people committee (Practical insights from the Harvard Business Review)
- Chief executives: fountain of youth versus wisdom of age (Opinion from the FT)
- Why investor pay revolts need to get personal (Opinion by the FT)
- The hypocritical attack on CEO pay (Opinion from the FT)
- A squandered chance to reform executive pay (Opinion from FT Editorial Board)
- How did boards adjust CEO pay in response to Covid-19? (Research from Stanford Corporate Governance Research Initiative)
Future of work
- We should pull the plug on pointless after-hours emails (Opinion from the FT)
- Morgan Stanley chief talks tough on return to the office (News from the FT)
- PwC plans 100,000-person hiring spree over five years (News from the FT)
- Workforce engagement and the UK corporate governance code (Report by the Financial Reporting Council)